Wednesday, October 29, 2008

October Daring Bakers Challenge


This month I joined the Daring Bakers, a group of bloggers that take on a baking challenge every month.  This month's challenge was homemade and hand-tossed pizza dough.  Coincidentally, I'd been wanting to try making my own pizza dough for weeks.  This was the kick-in-the-butt I needed to actually do it.

The recipe made enough dough for 6 medium-sized pizzas.  I prefer to use whole wheat flour as often as possible when baking.  For this challenge, I decided to use white whole wheat flour. It's 100% whole wheat, but has a lighter taste and texture that traditional whole wheat flour.  It gave the crust a slightly nutty taste, which I didn't mind.

I tested the first three with my brother, Z, and his friend.  Tough crowd.  I bought the necessary non-vegan toppings for them: cheese and pepperoni.  The funny part was that when I went to the grocery store, I couldn't remember where these items were kept.  I also picked up Davanni's pizza sauce and spinach for myself for a simple pizza.  Unfortunately, between my nervousness and my appetite, I forgot to take pictures.  However, the verdict was good: we all enjoyed the pizzas.

Having completed the challenge so early, I tossed the 3 extra dough balls in the freezer and forgot about them until last night.  So I tossed one in the fridge to defrost last night, and I set out to make myself dinner tonight.  I borrowed my mom's pizza stone and heated the oven to 500F.  Then the trouble began.

I split the dough in half to make two small pizzas.  I then tossed the dough and topped the first pizza with some of the leftover white bean and walnut bruschetta topping.  At this point I realized that I had no means of transferring the pizza to the stone in the oven.  So, using my hands and a spatula I clumsily dropped the pizza onto the stone.  It turned out great.  



Then the fire alarms started.  First in the kitchen.  Then in the hallway.  Then in my roommate's room.  I frantically ran to each one, flailing a towel in front of it to fan away the smoke.  As soon as I had one off, another would start again.  I opened my roommate's window, which I'm sure she'll really appreciate when she gets home.

So I took to my second option: the toaster oven.  This worked surprisingly well.  I turned out a perfect, albeit oddly shaped, pizza with tomato sauce, spinach, and basil.  Next time I won't push my old oven to 500F.


2 comments:

Bex said...

it might have been the stone. I don't have one but my friend uses one for lots of things and oil soaks into them so old oil could be in the stone which will smoke when it's really hot. As for me, I have to close the kitchen door (to the rest of the house) and open the back door when I cook with anything really hot cause something will set off the sensitive smoke detectors

Eat4Fun said...

Congrats on completing your first DB Challenge!