Thursday, September 25, 2008

Challenge Day 1

Here's what I've used up so far:

Breakfast - grapefruit
Lunch - green beans, red onion, and half of the cherry tomatoes
Snack - 2 plums
Dinner - a head of lettuce, 3 radishes, some carrots

A couple weeks ago I listed a few recipes on here so that I couldn't cop out on actually making them. Well, today I made the NYT's green beans (minus the sausages) for lunch.

The author wrote a short article to preface the recipe. Stereotypically, less crisp green beans are considered less refined. I also grew up in a household that valued crisp green beans, as well as other vegetables. I still prefer and prepare most of my cooked veggies this way. However, green beans prepared in this slow-cooked recipe soak up flavor as they soften. The end result is not mushy, but rather "soft and velvety." YUM.

I only made a couple changes. I cut down on the oil. I didn't measure, but I probably used about a tablespoon of oil plus a couple tablespoons of water to cook the onions. Also, I added garlic when I added the tomatoes. Finally, I used vegetable broth instead of water when the pan dried out during cooking.

Big bowl o' green beans made a tasty lunch. Leftovers are in the fridge.


This recipe knocked out my green beans and part of my cherry tomatoes. I had to buy thyme and basil, and, unfortunately, I have more left to use up. Add it to the list.

Snack time. I love fresh fruit, but I just wasn't feeling like eating these plums plain. So I went the less healthy route and cooked them in butter and sugar.


Finally, dinner was a delicious salad that I forgot to take a picture of until this point:


Yes, I eat my salads out of a mixing bowl.

And last but not least: fourth meal. Cinnamon sugar toast.


The list goes on:

3 red bell peppers
6 3 radishes
1 head of broccoli
1 red onion
1 yellow onion
9 oz. mushrooms
1 head of kale
2 1 heads of romaine lettuce
1 lb. 14? oz. baby carrots
1 lb. green beans
1 lb. 8 oz. cherry tomatoes
4 pears
2 bananas
2 plums
1 grapefruit
1 orange
10 apples
Fresh thyme
Fresh basil


One more thing:


It's not food. But some nice guy sent me these. Thank you.

No comments: