Thursday, September 25, 2008

Thanks Mom.

All week I've needed groceries. I've been making it by on peanut butter, cereal, and some carrots, but I wanted to COOK. My plans to grocery shop on Monday and Tuesday were foiled. Wednesday morning I finally got my groceries. No more than an hour later my mom called. To tell me that she had bought me groceries.

Ah, timing.

More specifically, my mom had bought some items for me and some bulk items that she wanted to share: red bell peppers, radishes, green beans, etc. Despite the timing, free groceries are one of the most exciting things that can happen to a student. So when I say thanks Mom, I really mean it.

I don't want anything to go to waste, so I am going to turn my excess of fresh food into a challenge.

This is the challenge: use everything before it goes bad.

These are the parameters:

3 red bell peppers
6 radishes
1 head of broccoli
1 red onion
1 yellow onion
9 oz. mushrooms
1 head of kale
2 heads of romaine lettuce
1 lb. baby carrots
1 lb. green beans
1 lb. cherry tomatoes
4 pears
2 bananas
2 plums
1 grapefruit
1 orange
10 apples

This is a lot of fresh food for one little person. Luckily, I have a big stomach and lots of Tupperware for leftovers.

No comments: