Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Challenge Day 6 and Rosh Hashanah (again)

Between the holiday and other meals with family, consumption of my fresh foods has slowed down:

Breakfast- apple, pear

Yes, breakfast was the only meal that I succeeded in making use of anything on the list.

I started the morning off with an apple and agave for Rosh Hashanah. To a sweet and healthy new year.

Lunch was with family and friends at a Greek restaurant. We shared appetizers, and I had a falafel sandwich, although I probably would have been happy with just a big bowl of hummus and a spoon. (Right, Chels?)

Tonight's dinner was low key. My mom and dad hosted. As sous chef I prepared a pomegranate salad. I love pomegranate juice in smoothies, but I always avoided the oddly shaped pinkish purple fruit in the grocery store. I'd wonder: what would I do with that?

Well, now I know. And much to my surprise, it was quite simple.


And quite delicious in the salad, along with baby lettuces, red onion, mandarin oranges, and a raspberry-pomegranate vinaigrette.

I will make progress on this list tomorrow to kick off:

3 2 red bell peppers
6 3 radishes
1 head of broccoli
1 red onion
1 yellow onion
9 4 oz. mushrooms
1 head of kale
2 1 heads of romaine lettuce
1 lb. 8? oz. baby carrots
1 lb. green beans
1 lb. cherry tomatoes
4 pears
2 bananas
2 plums
1 grapefruit
1 orange
10 7 apples
Fresh thyme
Fresh basil


Note on the chocolate mint melties mentioned yesterday:

DELICIOUS. I'm not a big fan of mint in desserts, but I picked this recipe thinking that it would be an after-dinner cookie that others would enjoy. Well, others did enjoy them, but so did I. I enjoyed them yesterday after dinner, yesterday before bed, this afternoon, before dinner tonight, after dinner tonight... I didn't think Dreena Burton, author of Eat, Drink & Be Vegan, could beat her own chocolate chip cookies, but they have met their match.

1 comment:

C. Graham said...

Hummus, with a spoon? Life doesn't get much better.

On Sunday I went to an organic foods restaurant and ordered a pita with hummus and veggies. I was craving a bagel with hummus (thanks to you) and a few veggies on top, but they said that they could not make it for me. Grrr! I was too hungry too fight, so I just enjoyed the pita.