Monday, October 13, 2008

Weekend of food.

This weekend I went to visit that guy who sent me flowers. We'll call him B. B is the perfect person to cook for because he'll eat anything. He's not a vegan, but he always has almond milk in his fridge, which makes me feel welcome.

Missed photo-ops:

Of course, I forgot to take a picture of one of my favorite things. I made the cheezy sauce from Veganomicon and mixed it with salsa to create my own salsa con queso. It reminded me of the salsa and processed cheese blend that you can buy in a jar at the grocery store, but better. I don't crave cheese like I did before I went vegan, but it's still fun to try to recreate old favorites.

This pasta e fagioli recipe (minus the prosciutto) hit the spot for a cold weather meal. I crave pasta and soups when fall arrives, so to have both in one dish was perfect.

Here's the food that I managed to photograph:

Cauliflower popcorn. This was so simple and so delicious. The perfect snack. I can't believe I'd never tried it before. Cauliflower roasted with olive oil, salt, and pepper.


Tofu scramble with onions, garlic, (canned) fire-roasted diced tomatoes with green chiles, broccoli, and a little leftover salsa con queso. (We both went back for seconds.)


B made me dinner one night. A soup that we both love: North African Chickpea and Kale Soup. The kale at the grocery store looked suspicious, so we used baby spinach instead.

The meal we were most excited for, though, was this:


Boneless chickenless hot wings. Of course, these wouldn't fool anyone, but they were delicious. I think this recipe was meant to feed a family of four, and we ate them all.


Who says you can't find good vegan food in Oshkosh, Wisconsin?

1 comment:

Bex said...

cauliflower popcorn, what an awesome idea. Cauliflower is one veggie I hadn't roasted yet. Sounds great.